Monday, May 10, 2010


Sorry for my silence. I left off saying I would update the blog after our big doctor's appointment to let everyone know if we were having a boy or girl. Well we found out that we're having a girl, (yay!) but we also got some worrisome news, thus my silence as I processed things a bit.

With the ultrasound we learned that the amniotic fluid around the baby was low and that her growth seemed delayed (she was measuring smaller than where she should have been). I didn't understand the implications of these two things until I did a bit of research online and talked with my doctor. We had a second, more detailed ultrasound a few days later to try to figure out what might be happening. Usually when the fluid is measuring low the first thought is that there might be a problem with the kidneys, and if not that, then the placenta might not be fully functioning, especially with her measuring smaller. If it's neither of those, then there is the concern of a birth defect or chromosomal abnormality.

We had three days to process all of this between our first ultrasound and our second, more detailed ultrasound. We did a lot of praying and talking to our families and then had the ultrasound last Monday. We met with a genetic counselor and a perinatologist and they had lots of information for us and tried to answer our questions as best as they could. The perinatologist (an OB whose had a few more years of training) went over the ultrasound image by image with us. They did not find anything wrong with the kidneys, so that was a definite blessing and answer to prayer, as was the fact that her amniotic fluid more than doubled! They also did not find any other problems, all the organs were there and looked fine, the placenta was the right shape and thickness, the umbilical cord looked fine, etc. She was still measuring small, however. So all in all, the doctors did not find anything wrong, but they also didn't really have any conclusive answers for us, either. Not knowing anything is a hard place to be in, but at least it gives us hope that things may still turn out fine. The biggest thing the doctor wanted us to be prepared for, though, was the possibility that she will come early. Of course we don't know how all of this will play out but we're trying to prepare for all of the possibilities and just trust that God has a perfect plan in all of this. We have another detailed ultrasound and appointment with the perinatologist on the 20th of this month so we're hoping to get a few more answers then. For those reading this, if you think about it, please pray for us that our baby will grow and that the doctors may get some more answers for us. Also, she was in a position that did not allow for the doctors to measure her very easily (especially her head) last time so please pray that she will be better positioned for the doctors.

There's a lot more that I could say right now, but I've already taken too long writing this post. I will update as we have our doctor's appointments. Thanks for taking the time to read through this looong post and for your prayers.