Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Family planning

Okay, so I hope this isn't tmi for too many people, but I wanted to get some suggestions (seems like that's all I do on here these days) about natural family planning from those of you who have chosen that route for birth control. (Is that what it's called?) I just got my period back (see, tmi) after almost two years of not having it (thanks to extended nursing). I've been on a low dose birth control due to the nursing since a month after Kaylin was born, but now that my period is back, I'm going to need to make some changes, either a regular, stronger birth control, or some other options, such as the natural method of charting my cycle. I don't really want to go on a regular birth control because I've heard stories of the hormones completely changing the woman on it. Also, I've heard a little about the possibility that birth control can cause abortions, and I definitely don't want that. I'm a little unsure about the natural family planning because it seems difficult to do. My period was always irregular (again with the tmi!) so it seems like it would be even harder to chart. Anyone like to share their experiences with it? Give some tips? I have a doctor's appointment on Monday with my OB so I need to make some decisions before I go because I know she's going to ask what I want to do. Thanks!

7 comments:

Kristen Borland said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

"Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great book...I forget the author. It lays out the family planning mathod and it's not difficult at all. It just involves charting everyday by taking your temperature every morning at the same time upon waking and checking your "fluids" everyday. It worked great for us for not getting pregnant and then for getting pregnant...which is what is great about understanding your cycle fully. We are not taking bc due to other problems with medicines and myself, and I can't get pregnant due to being on other medicines, so we have had to do it the natural way for two years! If you have a little more freedom..as in it won't physically harm the baby to get pregnant (as it might with my medicines), then all the way, I'd do family planning. It does work and it's not hard at all.

Michelle said...

ps, you can feel free to email me too if you want, but get my email from kristen since hers is on here and you are going to delete it:).

Kate said...

i am totally for natural family planning. travis and i have just started (since we only became aware of it right after Suzannah was conceived and now I am just starting to ovulate since having Charlotte). we went to an NFP class with the couple to couples league. that was really helpful because we could ask questions and get a little more direct help with getting started. right now we are using the OvuSoft software ( also called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" like Michelle talked about) to chart temps and fluids and it is great! it is so nice to actually be able to know my cycles (since I'm usually so irregular) and to tell you the truth it is really a great thing for the husband and wife to do together. if you keep your hubby involved (which is what the couple to couple league highly recommend) then you are one in making decisions about your family planning, your sex life (tmi?), and those types of intimate and important things. its not just up to you to take your pill every morning. plus, there is just something so neat about working with your body the way god designed us to work. it really makes womanhood, sex, and babies such a blessing and miracle. through our beginnings of this, we have really been pleased with how it is working and it has made my mind more focused on the Lord and his plan for our life. i'd love to talk with you more if you want. but to make a long story short, i recommend natural family planning all the way! I think it's better emotionally, physically and spiritually.

Jodi said...

I third the recommendations for _Taking Charge of Your Fertility_. It is the best place to start if you are interested in NFP/FAM.

Allison Brown said...

Thanks girls! I'll have to take a look at that book. Does the book explain how to get started? or say what to do if you're currently taking birth control? I may have more questions later.

Kate-what is the couples to couples league? and where can i get OvuSoft software?

Kate said...

1. couple to couple league is a catholic based natural family planning organization and 2. ovusoft software you get download from online. both you can find on the internet at 1. http://www.ccli.org/ and 2. http://www.ovusoft.com/ There is a wealth of info on the internet. You should just google natural family planning and you should get a ton of stuff that will help you get started.