Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Impossible Acres

Checking out the baby chicks


Cute baby pigs




She liked petting the baby goats




Running!


Peek-a-boo! (She loves getting caught hiding!)




Around we go!


Had to do a self-portrait





Which one's not a pumpkin?

Today Kaylin and I took a trip over to Impossible Acres, a farm in Davis that has a petting zoo, hay maze and pumpkin patch. We had lots of fun and although Kaylin was a little timid of the animals at first, she enjoyed looking, and sometimes gently petting, all of the animals. It was nice to get outside (the weather's great right now) and let Kaylin explore and run around. I think her favorite part of the trip was the hay maze. She ran around and we played peek-a-boo behind the bales of hay, which she got a kick out of. She also loved sitting on the bales, which I thought was funny--she even got mad when I tried to take her off!
On a side note, there was a lady working that asked if Kaylin was my daughter. She said she thought I was the babysitter because I look so young. It's not like she was rude at all, but there's something about that that kind of offended me. Not sure why? (And I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often because I know I do look young.) I think people are getting used to older women having babies in their 30's and 40's and for some reason don't expect women in their younger twenties to have kids. I think it shows a shift in our society where more women are waiting until after they've started their careers and experienced life (traveling and such) to have kids. There's nothing wrong with either approach; it's just interesting to see the change. (What would people in the 50's think of women waiting so long?) I've definitely noticed it in Davis--it's been hard to find younger moms to hang out with. All of the playgroups and parenting groups I've gone to have older moms attending with their babies. I always felt like the youngest one. And for some reason it's a little harder for me to feel connected to these older women. (Really, they're not that much older, maybe 5 to 10 years.) But for me, it's enough to feel a difference. Anybody else with similar experiences?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard when people make semi-rude comments, (even if they aren't intentional)but I've found that the best thing to do in that situation is to simply count your blessings and move on. God blessed you with a beautiful daughter! Maybe that woman was secretly jealous because she didn't have children when she had the chance...you know?

I don't know your exact age, but to me you look like you are in your mid 20's and that is a perfectly acceptable age for a married woman to have a child! (I had my twins 4 years ago, when I was 22.)

I know it's hard to associate with some of the older mom's, but again, maybe they are a bit jealous or threatened by you because you are younger. What I would suggest is to try and find the friendliest woman of the bunch (if possible!) and try and make small talk about the kids, etc. Mom's love to discuss their kids, right?! I know it's hard to get out of your comfort zone, but once you make that first step it's much easier. Good luck!

jen

Sugar Plum Invitations said...

The public is amazing. People will just say crazy stuff. I hear that when you are older, you'll be happy to be mistaken for being 29! At the same time, it sometimes drives me nuts when strangers are surprised I'm old enough to drive!!!

Michelle said...

I was pushing matthew on the swing at the park and another mom asked me if I was his nanny/babysitter. I mean because we look nothing alike right! At first I was a little offended and I'm sure she was a little embarassed when I told her I was his mommy. I always want to ask how old I look. A step-father of a friend of mine asked her if I was her age (young college) recently. Too funny. Only 7 years off! I'm told by many that I will be thankful later in life that I have such a young face, still waiting for the day:). Oh, and when out with Katy before her son was born people would think matthew was her child! Ahhh to look so young:).