Thursday, April 12, 2007

"Little Beauties"

So I was watching a show tonight that was called "Little Beauties," about child beauty pagents. I thought it was going to be about how they are bad for children, and all of that, but it wasn't. It was hosted by one of the pagent "emcee's," so he was obviously excited about it. I must admit, I got sucked in. It made me sad and honestly, a little sick, watching these six-year-olds (they looked much older) strutting (and they were) with their huge hair, thick makeup, fake tans and teeth. How sad it was watching their mothers putting makeup on their young daughters, telling them that their hair wasn't pretty enough (one mom was upset because her daughter's hair had been trimmed and she didn't like it), and keeping them up late so they could practice their walk and how they look in their swimsuits. I mean, are these moms for real? What a sad start for these young girls. It's an easy deception to think that beauty is external with all of society saying it is. I hope that I can teach my daughter differently, show her that beauty comes from within, from a kind heart, a selfless spirit; that God's love makes her good enough. And I should remind myself of that too.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

How sad. I wonder what those poor girls will grow up to be like. Thanks for the reminder that we need to be raising our girls knowing what true beauty is. My heart just breaks for the little girls in that show.

Anonymous said...

You should see "Little Miss Sunshine" for a totally hysterical and completely different take to the pageant experience. I don't think I have laughed that loud in eons!

Thank you for your heartfelt thoughts about Kaylin (and for that matter all girls) and the need to teach girls to love themselves. ~Lisa

Allison Brown said...

Lisa,

I did see Little Miss Sunshine, and did really enjoy it. Even though it takes on a funny perspective of pageants, I think it's still trying to portray a message against child beauty pageants. Thanks for the tip though. Good movie.