Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Any recommendations for books?

I want to find a good book on raising children in a Christian home, and I've seen a few on some other blogs (Kate, Brianna). How do you like the books you're reading and would you recommend them? Maybe you're not finished with them yet, or have some others you could recommend too. I'd appreciate any leads. As a side note, my computer is acting weird when I try to leave a comment on some of your blogs (maybe all of them?). It gets stuck and freezes so I can't leave any comments. So I think for the time being I may have to leave comments on my blog.

Kate--I wanted to ask you if you're teaching Charlotte baby signs? The original Baby Signs program was started at UC Davis, so everyone is very big into it here. There's classes and playgroups (the classes are a bit too expensive, so we haven't attended any, and you can't attend the playgroups unless you go to the classes). We've just been doing a few signs here and there with Kaylin (I ordered a book--starter kit--from Amazon), and she seems to be picking them up now really well. (She didn't seem to start doing any until about eleven months.) So congrats that Charlotte is doing them at so young an age! Anyway, just wanted to comment about that, and thanks for sharing the video--very cute!

3 comments:

Kate said...

allison - "shepherding a child's heart" by tedd tripp is a great book also. there are so many out there though, i'm sure brianna is a much better person to ask about this.
as for baby sign, i really don't know what i'm doing. i just know what my mom had taught me: more, please, thank you , mom, dad, water, milk, juice, sorry, cheese, cracker...i'm not sure how many more. I just reinforce those and don't let her get her way until either she does it or i move her hands for her, or i show her what to say. i guess it depends on the situation. but good for you for doing it...isn't it so helpful when their language is lacking? let me know how it goes for you.

Kristen Borland said...

oh, i was going to say that, kate! "shepherding a child's heart" is one that we are going through. mike's read it all, but i've only read parts and really need to read it all. i read the discipline section!

we will need to do sign language with amanda. i'm intimdated, but it's really good for babies/toddlers with down syndrome because their speech will be delayed.

Brianna Heldt said...

allison i really HAVEN'T read any christian parenting books worth reading so far. (kate you give me too much credit! :))

honestly i've mostly read books about attachment and adoptive parenting. as far as parenting in general goes, i've read one of the books in the "love and logic" series, and actually gleaned a lot from it. basically giving a child choices and natural consequences. it's worked great with anna. great thing is you can modify it to whatever works best for you.

i'll keep my eye out though and let you know if i read anything worthwhile!!!! (and you do the same!)

kate and kristen, i would like to hear more about this book.