Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Anybody else with food allergies?

So we have discovered that Kaylin has several food allergies. We knew about her milk allergy awhile ago because she would get a rash every time after she ate yogurt. We accidentally fed her food with the whey protein in it the other night and a bit later she broke out in a rash all over her body and has had lots of runny poops since (sorry for the description). Well tonight we also learned that Kaylin is allergic to sesame; after eating some of Tim's sesame pasta dinner, she broke out in a rash on her face and kept sneezing, with her eyes and nose constantly running. All total, she seems to be allergic to milk, egg whites, soy, and sesame. We're not really sure where these allergies come from because both Tim and I don't have any food allergies. I'm hoping that she'll outgrow the allergies once she's a bit older, because it's already been so hard dealing with them. I feel like we feed her the same foods repeatedly, and we're concerned she's not going to get all the nutrients she needs, especially at such a vital time of growth.

We're going to go in and get some blood tests to see if she's allergic to anything else (especially nuts), and hopefully learn just how allergic she is. Hopefully that'll give us a bit more information. So I was just wondering if anyone out there has also dealt with food allergies and maybe has some tips and advice for us. I'm also hoping to get some good recipes so she can have some variety in her meals. Poor thing, always wants to eat off our plates, and it would be so much easier if we could just cook one meal. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to meet with a nutritionist who deals with food allergies. Although, maybe that's being a bit extreme?

Anyway, I know I shouldn't complain, because there's much worse things we could be dealing with. I should be thankful for her overall health, and I am, but this is so foreign to me; it's still a bit scary. So anyone with similar experiences, I'd love to hear some thoughts. Thanks!

5 comments:

Kate said...

allison, i'm so sorry! how frustrating. no, suzannah and charlotte don't have any food allergies so far. sorry i can't help you out. i hope that she'll grow out of it quickly!

Larissa said...

Yucky! Those are such difficult allergies. It seems like almost anything packaged has milk, eggs and/or soy. Poor thing. Caedra isn't allergic to any foods (that I know of yet).
I hope your pediatritian can give you some insight on all this. And I don't think it's over the top to see a nutritionist. It's hard to be creative with such limited ingredients.

Jodi said...

I don't have any experience with food allergies, but here is a page for the milk allergic that may be helpful.

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html

Michelle said...

Aww, that's so hard to see your little one suffering with allergies. Matthew is allergic to everything, cats, dogs, outdoor stuff some foods (possibly peanuts, but not sure, I'm too paranoid to really try), but yeah, he'll totally break out, sneeze, cough, and his eyes will swell shut if it's really bad. He now has asthma to go along with it which is a bummer. Make sure you have children's benadryl with you wherever you go and know her dosing. We also have an rx for albuterol for the asthma. I'm actually trying to avoid allergy testing because it's pretty traumatic...all the needles and such. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm taking up all your comment space!!!

Data/Business chronicles said...

has u'r daughter outgrown any allergies? we r also dealing with similar stuff, my 9 month old baby is allergic to all the top 8 allergens