Friday, June 15, 2007

Some good poems...

Here are a few poems that were sent to me that really touched me...they seem to capture the emotions and struggles of a mother and wife very well. I hope they speak to you too.

Untitled

What shall I do
with this new day
I'll watch my daughter grow
For these days and years
will not always last
as the magic slips quickly
into the past.

She's swinging and playing
the wind in her hair...
if I wait too long
I'll embrace only air.

For now I can hold her
to caress her dear face
And now is the time
I can be in this place.

The words that are written
on this page of her life
must be carefully read
or become a dim light.

So all other work
can wait I say
as I watch my daughter grow today.


Knowing You Best

I always thought I'd know You best,
by sharing with people on a lonely quest,
Your love, Your realness, Your plan for their life,
and becoming great in Your service.
But I never knew that real knowledge of life,
would come to me as a Mother and Wife.

The clothes in the wash, new wax on the floor,
a small child coming through my front door,
dishes to wash and tears to dry,
sleepless nights and my, oh my...
The frustration, the anger, of not being known,
being stuck in a house everybody calls home.
To not be a STAR or a leader out there,
changing more diapers...what am I doing here?

The clothes that are washed get dirty again,
the shiny clean floor gets messy, and then,
a new problem comes to plague me just when
it seems like the last one was solved.

O LORD, I just thought, in my own naive way,
that working for You, and going Your way,
that time in Your Word, singing songs that You gave
would bring closeness to You,
and it did, in a way...

But when crisis comes, and there's no place to run,
when you feel like you're constantly under the gun,
when life is so turned 'round that down looks up,
when you're tasting some of Christ's own bitter cup...

Then God takes on meaning that never was there,
when I stand stripped and bleeding,
overwhelmed with my care.
When I seem to lose sight of my once glorious goals,
then this is what God says to me...

That He'll always love me whatever I do,
and He'll always be with me wherever I go,
that I must take hold of the truth of His word
even when things are just moving so slow.
That peanut butter and gooey jam
are all part of His perfect plan,
to make what He always wanted to see,
that His Son would be manifested in me.

O help me, my God, when those dishes and pots,
just seem like a waste in my eternal lot,
when wifing and mothering push me so low,
Please help me to see these as tools to help grow
up the person who You want me to be.
O please God, help me see Jesus in me.

Both poems by Jayne Ustick


1 comment:

Larissa said...

Those are great poems. Thanks for sharing them. I really connect with that last poem. Many of my days feel that way.