Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Food + Baby= Very Big Mess!

So we discovered tonight that Kaylin is able to feed herself with a spoon! (Okay, but she still needs lots of help!) Tim and I were eating dinner, and Kaylin was in her highchair next to me. Usually when we have dinner, the two of us eat and take turns feeding Kaylin her dinner so we can all eat together. We feed her stage 2 or 3 Gerber baby food, not our dinner since she doesn't have teeth yet. Well tonight we were eating late because I had just gotten home from the gym, and Tim had gone grocery shopping, so we were eating our food more than feeding her. I left the jar and spoon on her tray, and I guess she gave up on us feeding her and decided to feed herself, because I looked over and she had gotten the spoon out of the jar and (mostly) into her mouth! Needless to say, most of the food did not make it into her mouth, but rather, all over her, her chair, and the floor. Because she hasn't done too much self-feeding, her meals are usually pretty clean, definitely never as messy as in these pictures! I think she enjoyed the experience of feeling "all grown up" as she spoon fed herself, as well as the texture and feel of the food all over her! (Good thing her bath was next.) Lately she hasn't been as interested in her baby food, and I figured she was outgrowing it and was ready for more lumpier solid foods (I think that's part of it) cause she usually only eats a little before she starts refusing it. This time though, she ate almost all of the six-ounce jar (with our help) and I think it was partly because she felt that she was doing it. (So I know that most of you with young kids have already had this experience and so it may not be as exciting, but as it was our first, I wanted to share pictures.)
"I can't get all the food out, so I'll try this"
Kaylin attempting to feed herself

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Priceless photos!
Precious! How fun!
Jamie

Unknown said...

I just had a huge smile on my face the whole time I read this blog and saw the pictures. Kaylin is extremely adorable and it is so good to hear that you are doing well. love dre

Kate said...

I love the pictures. What fun those will be to show Kaylin when she's all grown up!

Jodi said...

Allison, I was so glad to see you on myspace and find your blog! I have pretty good contact with the girls that I graduated with but I often wonder what you 99'ers are up to! :) Your girl is adorable! Say hello to your sister for me.