Friday, May 11, 2007

Sponsoring a child

It's been on my heart lately to consider sponsoring a child. A friend and I sponsored a child together back in highschool, and ended up doing it for seven years! Unfortunately moving and life changes caused us to stop sponsoring her (at least on my side). But it was such a great thing, and it really didn't take much on our part to do it. We'd receive letters every once in awhile telling us how she was doing and what she was learning in school. I'm sure it meant so much to her and her family. And it was nice knowing we were doing something to help, even in what felt like a small way. Anyway, I can't remember what organization my friend and I went through, and I'm sure there are a million online, but I want to make sure it is a Christian organization that is really giving the money to children in need, and not some scam. I was wondering if anyone has a specific organization that they know and like and could recommend?

5 comments:

xoxo said...

Hey Al,
It's "Food for the Hungry"...

Allison Brown said...

oh yeah. I should have remembered that, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison
Our church is sponsoring an orphange in China. But they are always looking for people to sponsor kids surgery's. Lots of the children need cleft Pallete surgery and it only gets done if some pays for it. It is around 300.00. But totally worth it. Chris and I have been praying about this too! I can't wait to visit this orphange this summer. It is going to be hard not to bring the kids home with me.
Jamie

Brianna Heldt said...

World Vision is an excellent organization that helps children and communities in need. Also, AHOPE is an Ethiopian orphanage for children with HIV and AIDS. We've visited and they are doing an amazing work. (The organization is not specifically Christian. Their website is www.ahopeforchildren.org)

Allison Brown said...

Thanks everybody! I will look into these and keep praying!