Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Jumped the gun...

Okay, so I guess I was a little bit quick to celebrate Kaylin's newly acquired sleep habits. Last night was about as opposite as you could get from sleeping through the night! Yesterday, after having a nice long nap in the morning (also a rarity), I went to change her diaper, and she felt really warm, so I took her temperature. Turns out she had a fever. She wasn't acting any differently, still had plenty of energy and a good appetite with no other symptoms. The fever wasn't too high, so I didn't call the doctor and decided to just watch her. Her temperature stayed about the same throughout the day, so I gave her some Tylenol drops, which brought it down a little bit. No other symptoms ever showed up, we gave her some more Tylenol before bed, I nursed her and tried to put her in her crib. That's when the fun began. She woke up everytime I put her in, and didn't want to be held or rocked. I tried giving her to Tim, but the same thing, she pushed him away too. Eventually she fell asleep, not in her crib, but back again in our bed, where this whole unwanted sleep pattern started several months ago. She didn't sleep well at all, kept moving and crawling around (which meant we didn't sleep well either), so Tim put her back in the crib eventually. She lasted awhile, but woke up a couple of times (I didn't know, I was too tired to wake up, I guess.) Tim took her out into the living room and held her on the couch until she fell asleep. She woke up again at 6:30; I thought she was going to sleep longer since she didn't sleep well, but guess not. She still has a slight fever this morning, but again, is acting normally. I have no idea what she has! Part of me thought maybe she's teething (she still doesn't have any teeth) but she has no sign of any coming through--no drooling, no swollen gums. Anybody have any ideas of what she might have? I'll just have to watch her, and if she has the fever still tomorrow, I'll probably call the doctor. Poor thing!

4 comments:

Brianna Heldt said...

It sounds like she maybe just has a little virus or something. Interestingly, when our kids get sick they, too, rarely act any different, their energy level tends to be pretty normal, etc. (Now why can't that be the case when WE get sick?!)

Fevers can be a little scary but you're doing all the right things, I'm sure with a little TLC and time she'll be all better!!! Hang in there, it's so hard when your little one is sick!

Kate said...

Could just be a common bug. But some of the things you said remind me of beginnings Roseola. You might want to look that up and compare notes. Suzannah had a fever that lasted a couple days and she didn't sleep well at all. Then in morning light we saw that her fever had broken and she was covered in a rash.
Hope thats not what it is, thought. We'll pray for a quick recovery. (And lost of energy and patience for you too! :))

Allison Brown said...

Kate, that's what my dad thought it might be too, based on what i told him. (It's nice having a retired pediatrician as a grandfather.) But I think Brianna might be right because Kaylin has diarrea, so I think it might be a stomach virus. (We'll be watching for a rash though.) I'm praying that she'll sleep better tonight and get rested up. Thanks for your encouragement!

Sugar Plum Invitations said...

Allison, as for the teething thing, I would say she is due for her first tooth any time now. Usually it's the lower front teeth that come in first.. then the upper front ones. You'll start to see a little bit of white peak through her gum tissues. Hope you get some sleep tonight!